In this modern computing age, hardly anything escapes the internet – and that includes telephone services. Traditional phone systems are still in use by many consumers, but its applications for business use is no longer viable. For many businesses, the best option is to use VoIP systems to power their company’s communication needs.
Unlike traditional phone systems, VoIP systems are more affordable, scalable, and most important of all – mobile. You can take and make calls from virtually anywhere with an internet connection. However, security failures with VoIP systems are well known. Network security companies in Ohio understand the security threats that VoIP systems encounter on a daily basis.
You need a trusted provider of IT consulting in Cleveland to establish a small business phone system that suits your needs. Quality IP helps you establish a dependable VoIP system for your day-to-day communication needs. Contact us at (330) 931-4141 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to know more about our services.
Unlike other forms of cyber-attacks which aim to steal or malign data, attacks to VoIP systems are targeted to disrupt service or break the quality of service that the VoIP system provides. Network security companies in Ohio have provided us with common problems that your VoIP system can encounter:
- Bruteforce attacks – bruteforce breaches happen when SIP-enabled targets using the system of Invite-register-options signal messages to enumerate registered SIP usernames that ultimately lead to the hijacking of the device. To avoid this, you need a network monitoring service that detects anomalies such as brute force attacks.
- Phone vulnerabilities – some handsets have a default username and passwords. Your IT service needs to update your login credentials ASAP or hackers may attempt to exploit this simple vulnerability.
- SIP attacks – session initiation protocol, or SIP is the most common control protocol for VoIP systems, however it can be left unprotected without the security mechanisms that allow you to send SIP messages on an encrypted channel.
- Insecure passwords–many vulnerabilities originate from the user, and VoIP systems are no exception. Attackers can acquire usernames through social engineering and other methods, and –since you only need to enter it once – which makes users careless and just use the same numbers on the extension.
- Old extensions – businesses that do not have a kill-switch on user credentials are vulnerable to attacks originating from valid username and password combinations from a former employee or contractor. You need a system in place to protect your IT infrastructure from getting infiltrated by valid, yet unauthorized user access.
Work with an IT service provider that goes the extra mile to protect your IT infrastructure. Quality IP provides the IT consulting Cleveland companies need to stay one step ahead of cybercriminals. Contact us at (330) 931-4141 or send us an email at email@example.com to get in touch with an IT security expert.